Thursday, July 25, 2013

Just Another Update on my Projects

I finally frogged the ribbed tank, and the yarn is slowly working the kinks out. In the meantime, I did cast on for the fronts of my Gulls and Garter vest, and I'm up to the 2nd buttonhole, about 5 inches. I tried a new buttonhole process, doing it in one row, which is kind of neat, but the hole needs to be worked at after knitting it to make it neater and really look like a buttonhole. For this procedure, you bind off the number of stitches you need for your buttonhole, but then you cast on that number plus one on the left needle, K2tog the stitch left after binding off with the first stitch you cast on, and then continue to the end.  It's quick and easy, but I think the cast on stitches, which form the top of the buttonhole, are a little loose and sloppy looking. It said to use the backward loop method, but I may try using another cast on method to see if that makes a difference.

I've also restarted the ribbed tank, but I'm using the yarn the pattern calls for while I wait for my Kroy to straighten out. It's Microspun, a sportweight yarn made of microfiber acrylic (I have no idea what that really means), in a color called "Lily White". And yes, it really is that white. I'm about 4 1/2 inches along on that, as well.

I really need to alternate between the two. The 2/2 ribbing gets boring after a while, and the Gulls and Garter, which is a simple 4 row pattern, gets fiddly after a while. So, I switch back and forth just to break the rhythm. Is that normal? Do you keep more than one project on the needles, and active, at one time? I know one knitter who is very single-minded about her knitting, and has never had more than one project on her needles, but to me, it seems that she just has to force herself to finish each project. Not every project, but some. I don't want to force myself to knit. That would blow the whole purpose of knitting for me. It's to relax, to calm my nerves, to allow the right side of my brain to exercise a bit, and to shut down the analytical, left brain. If I'm forcing myself to knit, that means the left brain is in charge. And God knows, it's in charge too much of the time for me.

So, the beautiful Kroy is still in timeout while it unkinks, the Lily White Ribbed Tank is moving along, and Gulls and Garter vest is coming along nicely.

No comments: