Friday, July 19, 2013

The Tank Tanked, but Gulls & Garter is Surging Ahead

So, I made a mistake casting on for the tank, and didn't realize it until I was about 4 inches into the armhole. I need to frog it and start over, so it's in timeout until I finish my Gulls and Garter vest.

I cast on both fronts today. 46 sts each, with 5 stitches in seed st, the rest in rib and later in the pattern. I generally don't have to use stitch markers to remember when a pattern changes, but I did today. 1/1 ribbing and seed st don't mix well, and rather than counting each stitch, I just put in markers after the seed stitches. Much easier. Ribbing is rather mindless knitting for me, and the stitch markers help that along. I really don't want to focus so intently on each stitch. I've done about one and a quarter inches of the ribbing so far, and I'm only using 2 inches, so I'll be starting the actual pattern knitting later today.

I had plans to have both tops done at least a week ago, if not 2 weeks ago. So much for plans. I got sucked up in Ravelry, loading my library there with all the patterns I have (and I'm not done yet), and looking for patterns for other yarns I have. Boy, can you waste a lot of time on Ravelry.

I also got busy in real life, reading, visiting my brother and his family, grocery shopping, cleaning the house, etc. Life happens. It's only been a month since I came home from the hospital, although it seems much longer. I couldn't visit my family until now, though, because their daughter had a bad cold, and I wasn't going to risk that. Now she's healthy, and I got to hear all about her trip to Australia, which she started the day I went into the hospital. It sounds like she had a great time, even during the service learning portion of the trip. I would have loved going on her trip instead of mine!

Anyway, that's all the news for now. Hopefully I'll finish my vest this week, and I'll try to get my sister-in-law to take pictures of me in it so I can post them here and on Ravelry. If not, I'll at least take pics of the finished item and post those.

No comments: